kt's recipe box

Find here recipes from my box and books. Some are mine, some are not, but they are all ones that I love and I am keeping them here so that I don't lose them and so that I can share them with you =)

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thai Chicken Soup

Source: I started making this when I was in college. I merged basically two recipes (one from Joy of Cooking and one from a Thai restaurant my father likes in the City). It has elements that are not authentic (such as jalapeno), but, frankly, I love the flavor, so I recommend using it anyway! This is a very rich soup.


Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups coconut milk (I use 2 ~15 oz cans)
1-1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
2 small cans of mushrooms, juice drained (I prefer straw, but use sliced button as an alternative). Fresh mushrooms work great as well.
3 jalapenos, seeded, sliced
1/3 c. lime juice (lemon juice works in a pinch)2 Tablespoons coarsely chopped parsley
1 oz. ginger, sliced into spears
3 Tablespoons Thai Fish Sauce
1 Tablespoon Thai Chile Sauce
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Note: I've also added fresh vegetables I've had on hand - green beans, red peppers etc. to put a little more color in the soup and give it more heft.

Directions:
1. Bring coconut milk and 1 cup of water to a boil. Add ginger, jalapenos, and cook at medium heat for a few minutes.
2. Add chicken, salt, fish sauce, sugar, parsley, and lime juice. Cook until chicken is done.
3. Throw mushrooms and any other vegetables in until just cooked, remove from heat - serve immediately. Add chili to taste. Serves 4.

Note: It really does only serve 4. It makes a very small batch. I've also added the chili in with the chicken to give it a little more spice.

No comments: